05 February 2007

confinement

It's days like these that I understand why my friend Mark gave up NEOhio for the scrubby, whore-infested desert of Las Vegas. Anywhere I don't have to wear two pairs of socks to bed is quite tempting right now. Third-world countries with no running water, but a balmy 65 degrees? I'm so there.

I haven't left my house for three days for fear of the elements. (Well, and a headcold kept me in today.) Not that the house is much warmer. I'm fairly certain the cats' dish of water is close to icing over. Anytime I near an even somewhat reclining position, the cats attach themselves to me to siphon off my body heat. I delude myself into thinking it's loyal affection.

An hour ago, I broke down. I tore off the shackles of thriftiness and eco-consciousness and bumped my thermostat up to 67 degrees. I decide the two extra degrees are my winter vacation. Instead of sitting on the beach in Florida, I'll sit in my living room with only one layer of blankets. We all need our indulgences.

8 comments:

theodore said...

two things.

well, you don't need skinny jeans, but you know, like pretend those bands are so last year, but then dl the music anyway, but dont tell anyone to save your indie cred.

you know whats funny. the colder it gets outside, the warmer it gets in the big 'D. its seriously a nice 85 in here right now. in fact its been so warm, ryan, jeremy and i just walk around naked.

deBiase said...

67 degrees, you MONSTER.

And don't listen to Ted, I still wear socks around, for fear of splinters.

Leslie said...

About 50 here, birds chirping and buds on the trees. Ahhh, global warming in the great west. All the same, I send warm thoughts your way.

Adam Harvey said...

My heat only goes over 60 when I have company over. GUILT GUILT GUILT

SnogAsh said...

I turn it down to 64 when I feel like pretending I'm a good person.

jay-c said...

I have uncontrollable steam heat, so it's like 72 degrees in my apartment. I'm wearing shorts and drinking out of a coconut

bec said...

my brother was visiting and didn't quite get my logic for keeping my thermostat at 63, so i reluctantly bumped it up to 68 for him while he was here. It is back down again.

sab said...

I used to live in Las Vegas. It's OK in the winter, but in the summer it's too hot to walk the dog by 5 a.m. I used to roll the tomato plant inside into the air conditioning every night because the fruit wouldn't set if it didn't get below 70 degrees. We had tarantulas living in the garage. A normal spring day had 50 mile per hour winds.