01 February 2007

bookwormy

I think reading as a child is probably superior to reading as an adult. Granted, now I can stay up AS LATE AS I WANT to devour whatever tome (see below) I happen to be reading. But the truth is my eye lids usually droop after ten pages.

When I was a child, I hid books in my sheets and squinted by the light from the hallway, reading until a parent's footsteps rounded the stairs. This was how nerd children rebelled, illictly drinking up literature. That satisfaction—of eschewing "the man's" bedtime—coupled with the pleasure of reading is difficult to reproduce as an adult.

Still I try. Try to find that book that envelopes you so completely and restores your wonder at the fantastical. Or wonder at the beauty, simplicity or power of language. Since graduating, with an English degree, these books come to me less frequently. Or rather I seek them out less, prone as I am to non-fiction or thoughtful magazines. And it seems as if my reading capacity has diminished. It takes me much longer to finish a book, what with the tired eyes of a 9-5er.

Still I try. I read something before bed every night. No matter what time I am getting to bed. It may be just a page or two, but it's something.

Right now I'm reading Middlesex at the hearty recommendation of Katherine. It has not fully consumed me but sometimes I do get lost in its world, wandering for a bit. Just this glimmer that it's possible is enough.

4 comments:

part-time buddha said...

I take a book with me everywhere. If you see a group of people waiting for the bus, I'm the one with my face in a book. Same thing in restaurants, offices, bars, or a line of any variety. Partially I do this to have something to do. But mostly I do this because there is so much time wasted in a these moments everyday and I would rather spend them learning and/or feeling a bit of wonder.

If you need book suggestions, drop me a line. I've been discovering lots of new books that I lovelovelove. Plus, I'm very opinionated.

I'm glad you try, though, despite your drooping eyes.

deBiase said...

I forgot to give you Kavalier and Clay. Chabon keeps me consistently entertained. I went through it pretty fast and I'm a very slow reader. Mysteries of Pittsburgh was another good one. Next time.

Adam Harvey said...

Middlesex is a GREAT book.

peppermintlisa said...

yeah, I like it a lot. I've gotten more into it as I'm half way through.