27 February 2006

dispatch from the former vice-president of middle school enivronmental club

There are two things I am sure I would do if I were rich: get weekly massages and eat completely organic. (Except for the occassional Lil Debbie Zebra Cake because, well, they're Zebra Cakes!)

Alas, I do not have that luxury, but I have progressively included more organics in my diet. I regard the extra cost as something I have to do as much as I can. Because I can't justify the cost of eating exclusively organic, it makes sense to buy organic products that when non-organically grown contain the highest amount of pesticides.

The Environmental Working Group has compiled a list of the most contaminated produce along with the least contaminated.

Here's the top 12 produce most contaminated by pesticides:
• Apples
• Bell Peppers
• Celery
• Cherries
• Imported Grapes
• Nectarines
• Peaches
• Pears
• Potatoes
• Red Raspberries
• Spinach
• Strawberries

Keep these in mind when you're shopping. EWG tells us why.

No comments: