15 February 2006

can you feel the love this week
eureka, areca!

After suffering from unusually bad allergies and asthma for two weeks, I reasoned that one of the things I needed was more humidity and purified air. My dinky $15 humidifier wasn't cutting it. So I headed over to one of my favorite web sites MetaEfficient to see if it recomended anything that actually worked and was environmentally sound.

Serendipitiously, they had just posted about The Most Efficient Humidifier. It's not a machine, though, but the Areca Palm, a houseplant. It emits "a copious amount" of moisture as well as removes toxins from the air.

I had known that some houseplants help indoor air quality by eating up pollutants. For instance, spider plants are good at removing radon from the air. But I honestly didn't know they could help by contributing moisture to the air.

In the post about the areca palm, the book How to Grow Fresh Air was mentioned. The book rates and analyzes 50 common houseplants on their abilities to detoxify the air and produce moisture.

I immediately found the book at the library and read most of it last night. It's great. We should all grow little ecosystems in our houses and workplaces. Indoor air pollution is a big problem; it comes from normal household products/furniture/people, etc. But plants can really help mitigate it.

I'm sold. I've always liked having plants around. The problem is my roommates' cats enjoy eating/knocking over plants. I'll have to macramé me some hanging plant baskets. Groovy.

No comments: