10 July 2005

party time! excellent!

I am not blessed with movie quoting competence. I envy the person who spits back witty lines verbatim after watching a movie just once. I'm more likely to quote movie lines my friends bandy about, even if I haven't seen the movie. My high school friend Kristen incessantly repeated lines from movies, song lyrics and poems. Among others, she forced (through pointed practice or absorbing her repetition) me to memorize the poem "The Night has a Thousand Eyes", "I am Woman...hear me roar" and choice quotes from Dirty Dancing.

I was saying "When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong; I know you're not the one who got Penny in trouble" long before I actually saw the movie. I had no context on which to rely other than Kristen's somber intonation.

One movie I did glean many lines from was Wayne's World. It wasn't just my repeat viewings, it was the Napolean Dynamite of 1993—very quotable and incessantly quoted. NOT! made into the popular vernacular; I still hear it today. "Schyeah, right, and monkeys might fly out of my butt" and "Excellent!" virulently spread among the teen population, eventually infecting teens' parents and the rest of society. I can't think of another movie that affected my popular lexicon so much.

Unfortunately, it is still affecting my popular lexicon. I guess it is fairly common for situations or language to cue the brain toward pop culture references or quotations. But, instead of a contemporary quip, my mind wants to reply with a Wayne's World quote. In suppose popular culture references serve as a subconscious bonding tool, so I catch myself when something like "If you're going to spew, spew into this" pops in my head. I realize that other people may not immediately think of Wayne's World when visiting New York city. And thus it could be alienating, not bonding, to sing "Hey, I'm in New York. I've got a gun, let's go to a Broadway show," while strolling the streets.

Thankfully, I censor my inclination to quote Wayne's World. What if it isn't always this way? What if I'm 40 and still intoning "Jeez!" in a Napolean Dynamite-esque voice? It's like people who discover the perfect hairstyle for them in 1968 and stick with it, thinking it works but denying the outside world's changing styles.

As time moves faster, and I'm aghast that I've been out of high school for eight years, I worry something like this will happen to me. I don't want to become an anachronism.

No comments: