30 June 2005

sister outsider

When you grow up using certain words, doing specific tasks or experiencing life in a particular way, it can come as amusing or even a full-blown shock when you learn that most or all others did not.

For instance, a child grows up in a cult, but when he/she is older, he/she realizes that most people don't worship cans of split pea soup or collect their ear wax because it's considered holy. (Instead, people collect potato chips that resemble Jesus.)

Or, a child is raised without television. Despite being a positive upbringing, the kid will likely feel left out of talk about the latest Teletubby-bachelor educational reality show.

Fortunately, any dissonance between how I was raised and how people normally live is minimal and moreso the source of amusement. Here are some examples:

• People are fond of saying I threw up a little in my mouth. Of course, I find this humorous because, at the risk of seeming juvenile, vomit is still funny in my book. However, as a kid, I called the actual phenomenon having a sour. This makes sense, right? A burp with a little liquid coming back up—it's always sour. My mom and brother conveniently do not remember calling it this.

• I don't think it was until college that I learned that no one else referred to Macaroni and Cheese as cheese noodles. Again, makes perfect sense. Yet, anyone other than my immediate family asks me what the heck I'm talking about when I refer to the dish as cheese noodles. Connect the dots, people.

• Recently, I asked my brother if he still put his pajamas under his pillow after he woke up. "Uh, I usually sleep in my clothes," he replied. Then, "Who does that?" "We did, as kids, you freak," I answered. Only I still do. Apparently, putting one's pajamas under one's pillow is not common practice. Oh.


This is kinda like Lauren's post, so I must acknowledge her. Lauren, you are acknowledged.

No comments: