03 May 2005

design review

This post is dedicated to KEWP and BEP. I turned them on to Budget Living magazine. Because they will be moving soon, they need decorating ideas and inspiration and items to covet for their new home.

I'm always seeking design inspiration or ideas and quirky/stylish/functional home goods. So here are some cool places I've found:

• I'm addicted to design*sponge. The blogger Grace features designerly items she fancies—furniture, home decor, paper products and more. Always with photos and links. Many of the featured items are out of my price range. However, I love seeing what is out there and what is possible, and I get ideas. I found out about cute Anthropologie drawer pulls of this variety:
drawer pulls

Apartment Therapy is aimed at New Yorkers, but even Midwesterners with five times the living space can find interesting info and ideas. Check out their Smallest, coolest apartment contest.
small apt
It almost makes me want to get rid of all my crap and rent a studio. Almost.

• I've just recently starting stopping by Land and Living, which bills itself as a "modern lifestyle and design" blog.

• I like the quote at the top of the UnBeige page: "You make something off-white or beige because you are afraid to use any color—because you don't want to offend anybody. But by definition, when you make something no one hates, no one loves it." -Tibor Kalman
Amen. Again, not just stuff for the home but other designerly objects.

• I'm constantly calculating in my head the most efficient means of executing a task, be it work or mundane and trivial. For instance, in the bathroom in the morning, I will ride the potty ride, then take my medicines, then brush my teeth so the water has time to recuperate before I turn on the shower. Anyway, MetaEfficient is also obsessed with efficiency. They do product reviews of myriad household items, so the site is a good resource for a wide array of environmentally friendly home goods.

• I love Craftster for many reasons, one of which is adding a interior decorating section. It's where I found this idea:
mondrian wall

• The premise is great for Digs online mag, which is a "a home + living guide for the post-college, pre-parenthood, quasi-adult generation." But very spare on the pictures. Sorry, but I need photos for home and design sites.

A lot of the items these sites mention are out of my (and your) price range. But, as I said, I like to get ideas (and the optimism sometimes that I can make it myself. ha!) I think I'm a graduate of Ikea furniture by now though and would rather purchase some solid, nice pieces of furniture. A step beyond Ikea but not quite Room & Board is West Elm. I'm thinking of plunking down $200 for these:
tables

Of course, nothing beats a good free trash find. Or a thrift store steal. And those options are definitely more environmentally friendly.

No comments: